What is a bonded warehouse?
Customs bonded warehouses are licensed warehouses that satisfy strict security regulations. It is within bonded warehouses that goods may enter the United States but are not considered “cleared” through customs. Merchandise in a bonded warehouse is considered still to be in Customs custody and duties do not have to be paid.
What are its advantages?
1. Customs duties do not have to be withdrawn until goods are released from the warehouse.
2. Duty rates that are applied are based on the time the goods are released not the time that they enter into the bonded warehouse.
3. No duty is paid if the goods are exported (so no need for drawback claim – to be discussed in another blog entry).
4. Merchandise can remain in a bonded warehouse for up to 5 years from the date of importation.
5. Manipulation of goods within warehouse is LIMITED to: cleaning, sorting, packing, repacking which are not considered manufacturing.
Happy Importing 🙂
DISCLAIMER: The content of this website has been prepared by the Abady Law Firm, P.C., for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice. The material posted on this website is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute, a lawyer-client relationship, and readers should not act upon it without seeking professional counsel. The Abady Law Firm, P.C., did not produce and is not responsible for the content of off-site legal resources. The materials on this site may constitute advertising under various state ethics rules.